My name is William James Herath and as a kid I wanted to be a paleontologist. The world is full of excitement and, like today, I had so many questions. My parents realized the best way to respond to a constant stream of questions was to purchase the entire Encyclopedia Britannica. From that point on, the response to my questions would be, “let’s go look it up.”
My father being a veterinarian and my mother a registered nurse, our home was an environment that fostered science. Here is a quick list of my life:
– I received my first computer at the age of nine.
– My father enrolled me in 4-H.
– In sixth grade, I won my first science fair.
– In Junior High, my parents bought the family a camcorder, but it rarely left my hands. My friends and I would make short films and documentaries.
– I learned a second language in France as a Rotary Exchange Student.
– By nineteen I learned my first computer language.
– In college I worked with my father at his veterinary clinic, I learned much about the nature of science and medicine. My father explained how things worked in his surgery room, x-ray booth, and blood work laboratory.
– Ultimately, I chose to study video production and landed my first job as a film editor for a show on PBS.
– Within a few short years, I was married, moved to Los Angeles and was earning a living appearing in television commercials.
My wife and I had two children and began attending the Westside Vineyard
. I quickly began helping out with the high school group and after four years of volunteering, I was asked to be the youth pastor. During that time, a student asked about evolution of which catapulted me into something fascinating! I wrote about it here: Why I Wrote the Book, What Is Evolution?
I still live in Los Angeles and have appeared in over forty television commercials, I speak around the country with the Truth Conference (Josh McDowell), I teach at area youth groups, and speak to high school and middle school students at summer camps and winter retreats. Here are a couple of recent radio interviews, feel free to listen. #01 & #02.
I have produced a short film titled “How Did We Get Here?” (click here to watch it for free) I am currently working on making the short film into a weekly television show.
If you would like me to speak at your event, please use the CONTACT ME form to request booking information.